All Australian cities are spread out over huge areas yet traveling within the city is never a hassle. The reason for that is the superlative public transport network that these cities have. People in Australia boast about their public transport service because the network is well connected and has multiple transport modes which are reliable and fairly on time.
Each of the Australian major cities have their own prepaid public transport card system.Using a transport card means that one doesn’t need to carry cash for tickets, is easy to use, and you could possibly even get a discount for using the card along with many more benefits of using one.
This article will guide you about the multiple modes of transport in Australian cities, how to buy a transport card, how to use it, how to top up the card etc.
Public Transport Options In Australian Cities
Across Australia people are using public transport options like Bus, Train, Tram. Light Rail, Ferry etc. All of the transport modes are well connected with each other and one can easily travel between two locations in any of the cities.
Each Australian state has its own Public Transport department and they have different names. Each of the public transport system in Australia promotes their own transport card, which is basically a smart card.
This smart card has a specific number assigned and one can top up this card and use it to pay for the journey.
|Sydney||Opal||Bus, Train, Light Rail, Ferry|
|Melbourne||Myki||Bus, Train, Trams|
|Brisbane||Go Cards||Bus, Train, Ferry|
|Adelaide||MetroCard||Bus, Train, Trams|
|Perth||smartRider:Transperth||Bus, Train, Ferry|
|Canberra||MyWay||Bus, Train, Ferry|
|Darwin||Tap and Ride card||Bus|
How To Use The Public Transport?
- Plan your journey
– Every transport system has their own mobile application. You can input your starting point and destination point and the mobile app will give you routes and respective timetable.
- Buy a ticket or ‘Tag On’ your prepaid transport card.
– Once you finalise which route to take, reach to the bus stop or train station.
For train journeys, you can buy a ticket at a station or you can scan your transport card at the scanner on platform entrance(this is usually called as Tag On).
For bus journeys, you can buy ticket from bus driver or you can scan(Tag On) your transport card at the scanner in a bus.
- Complete your journey.
– Reach to your destination stop.
- ‘Tag Off’ your transport card.
– If you have used the transport card scan(Tag Off) your transport card at the scanner in bus or scanner at the railway platform depending on the mode of transport you have taken.
For journeys with a change in transport mode/s, you might need to tag off and tag on for multiple times. Or you might need to buy multiple tickets.
Where To Buy A Transport Card
You must buy a transport card immediately after your arrival in Australia. You can get these transport cards at their authorised distribution center. These transport cards have minimal one-time charges and once you get the card you can add a minimum top-up to this card.
You can find the list of distribution centers on the respective websites.
Why Using A Transport Card Is A Smart Option
- Using transport card is cheaper than buying ticket daily as you’ll get discounted rates.
- Single transport card can be used for any journey using any mode of transport.
- Mobile Apps have all the information like schedules, route guide, route options, total fare etc.
- Transport card can be auto-recharged.
- Transport card can be used to pay for parking at railway stations.
Do you still think you can’t easily roam around the cities in Australia?
If yes, do not hesitate to contact Chalo Australia. We will be happy to answer you.